Health Benefits of Celery
Experience the benefits of celery juice
The health benefits of celery have been known for centuries. In ancient times, it was also considered a medicinal herb used to treat a variety of sicknesses. In the early middle ages celery juice was used for curing ailments such as gallstones, constipation, menstrual problems and for health disorders of the liver and gall bladder.
Celery juice is highly nutritious and very hydrating. Because it is incredibly alkalizing, it equalizes the body's PH, which is essential for good health. All parts of celery are packed with minerals, vitamins and nutrients. Celery leaves are high in vitamin A, whilst the stems are an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, B6 and C and dense in potassium, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium and essential amino acids.
This super food also contains important concentrations of plant hormones and healing essential oils that give celery its characteristic smell. These oils help to regulate the nervous system, and are very calming.
Sodium that is available in celery is soluble and organic (living), and is essential for the body. Organic salt allows the body to use the other nutrients that are taken into the body. Every cell in our body is constantly bathed in a salt solution, and if the salt level is not in balance, dehydration occurs. This is why celery juice is a perfect rehydration drink for athletes.
Other Health Benefits of Celery Juice
- Vitamin C Source - Celery is rich in vitamin C, a very important antioxidant and immune system booster.
- Detox Diet Super Food - Celery is highly recommended in most detox diet plans as a cleanser to add to your juicing recipes. It has excellent cleansing properties that help to aid digestion, regulate body fluid by acting as a diuretic and curbing sweet cravings.
- Cancer Prevention - Studies found that celery contains a at least eight compounds that help prevent cancer cells from spreading. Certain compounds called acetylenics have been shown to stop the growth of tumor cells. Celery contains other compounds called phonolic acids that block the action of hormone-like substances called prostaglandins, which encourage the growth of tumor cells. Coumarins, another phytonutrient in celery helps prevent free-radicals from damaging cells and prevent the formation and development of colon and stomach cancers.
- Lowers Cholesterol- Laboratory studies also indicate that butyl phthalide, a chemical in celery, may help reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol. Celery also helps to increase bile acid secretion which helps to remove cholesterol from the body.
- Improves Digestion - Celery is a natural laxative that helps to relieve constipation. Special nutrients in the fiber are released during juicing that aid bowel movements.
- Diuretic - The potassium and sodium in celery juice are powerful body fluid regulators that stimulate urine production to help rid the body of excess fluid.
- Anti Inflammatory - The polyacetylene in celery is an amazing relief for all inflammation including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, asthma and bronchitis. A study found that another powerful phytonutrient called luteolin blocks the inflammation pathway in the brain. Luteolin also inhibits the excess production of TNF-alpha, a direct cause of inflammation.
- Lower blood pressure- Chinese medicine has long recognised Celery's potential for reducing high blood pressure . Studies show that drinking celery juice every day for 1 week can significantly help lower blood pressure. A compound called phtalides helps relax the muscles around the arteries, dilating the vessels and allowing blood to flow smoothly. Pthalides also reduce stress hormones, one of whose effects is to cause blood vessels to constrict.
- Insomnia - Celery juice is said to have a calming effect on the nervous system, making it beneficial for insomniacs. Its high magnesium levels help people to relax into a soothing and restful sleep.
- Weight loss- Drinking celery juice frequently throughout the day is a popular natural appetite suppresant. Snacking on celery during the day will help fill you up without adding extra calories.
- Elimination and Prevention of Stones - Celery juice is great for cleansing toxins from the body and a good natural remedy for dissolving and passing of urinary and gall stones. Drinking it regularly will help to keep them from forming again
- Increased Sexual Drive - Celery juice is beneficial for weak sex drive without the effects of an uncontrollable urge that some pharmaceutical drugs have.
Add The Health Benefits of Celery To Your Diet
Celery is crispy and juicy with a slightly peppery flavour that's a great addition to a salad or snack platter
- Juice is the most efficient and nutritious way to eat celery, and you can drink as much juice as you like without overdosing. Celery can be juiced with any other fruits or vegetables. A particularly delicious and powerful combination is carrot, apple, cucumber and celery. See great juicing recipes here.
- Chop celery into your salad
- Serve celery sticks with other chopped fresh vegetables and a fat free dip as a healthy snack.
- Braise chopped celery, radicchio and onions and serve topped with walnuts and your favorite soft cheese.
- Add celery leaves and sliced celery stalks to soups, stews, casseroles
- Celery freezes easily so keep it away from the coldest areas of your fridge.
Find The Detox Info You're Looking For
If you can't find the detox information you're looking for, please use our Google Site Search Box below. You can search this website or the whole web.
Raw Food Diet Information
Detox For Life Homepage