Home Remedy For Strep Throat
Relieve the Symptoms of a Sore Throat
Suffering the burn of a sore throat? Try a Home Remedy For Strep Throat from the list below and learn more about what causes a sore throat so you can heal it up quickly and hopefully avoid getting prescription medication.
A sore throat can start out quite mildly but if your immune system is run down or you don’t take steps to fight the infection, it can really turn into a nasty infection.
Causes Of a Sore Throat
So lets look at what causes a sore throat and what leads to a strep throat infection.
Sore throats are usually caused by an inflammation on the pharynx (but bear in mind there are a number of other causes, including things like smoking or even talking too loudly).
Your sore throat can be divided into one of the two categories:
- Viral throat infections: such as a "cold" or the "flu". The symptoms of a viral infection include fever, achy muscles and a running nose. These can’t be cured, but its symptoms can be treated. A throat infection that is viral will usually go away on its own, but the symptoms can be helped by using natural remedies. (See a list below)
- Bacterial infection: this usually caused by the streptococcal bacteria and is also known as a strep throat. The symptoms are very similar to those of the viral infection, but more severe and longer lasting. Other symptoms include headaches, stomachache and swollen glands, fever, chills. Once a throat infection has got to this stage, it usually helps to be treated by a doctor. If left untreated, complications may occur.
Home Remedy For Strep Throat Ideas
Here are some home remedies that can be used to treat the symptoms of a sore or strep throat:
- Gargle with Salt water: The salt decreases the level of fluids in the throat that can cause swelling and inflammation, which reduces your pain. Salt has antibacterial properties and will help heal an infected throat as well as prevent further infection. Mix together 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 cup of warm water and gargle, 2 - 3 times daily. Remember, don’t overdo the amount of salt you gargle, because too much salt can cause the tissues in your throat to dry out which will mean even more irritation.
- Honey: Honey reduces soreness in your throat caused by an infection by coating the wall of your throat, which also reduces the cough. Honey is a natural antiseptic, which may also help treat your sore throat. You can either eat honey by itself, or mix it with a small amount of lemon juice.
- Ginger: Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory and a natural anti-bacterial which helps relieve the symptoms of a sore throat. Steep 2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger in one cup of boiling water to make tea. Strain it and drink 2-3 times everyday. Add honey if you need to sweeten it a bit.
- A favourite "cure-all" and great home remedy for strep throat! By mixing apple cider vinegar, water, salt and crushed Vitamin C together and gargling may also help treat your sore throat.
- If you gargle with chilli pepper / cayenne, the Capsaicin (the ingredient found in chilli pepper which makes them hot) helps numb your throat. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of dried chilli or cayenne pepper in a quarter of a cup of water and gargle. Be very careful not to swallow by mistake.
- Garlic has amazing antiviral properties. Boil one clove of garlic in a cup of boiling hot water and wait for it to become lukewarm. Gargle.
- Gargling with aloe vera juice is also a natural remedy for a strep throat.
If gargling isn’t for you, here are some natural herbal teas that can help with the treatment of sore throat:
- Slippery elm: To treat sore throats, herbalists use the inner bark of the tree. This has mucilage which is a gel-like compound which swells when it’s mixed with water. The mucilage which forms a coat on the inflamed throat tissues and this soothes and reduces the irritation.
- Marshmallow: Just like slippery elm, marshmallow contains mucilage which does much the same for throat infection symptoms. Use the root to make tea for a sore throat. Add one tablespoon of the dried root to a cup of boiling water. Steep it, but keep it covered for about 10 minutes and then strain. Drink 2-3 cups a day.
- Lemon, apple cider vinegar, cayenne and honey: This is a personal favourite Home Remedy for strep throat as well as any other respiratory infection. Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, a pinch of cayenne, zest of a quarter of a lemon and a teaspoon of honey to a cup of boiling water and stir. Drink as much as four cups a day.
- Sage: Add one teaspoon of sage to a cup of boiling water and have it 3 times daily.
If your sore throat lasts for more than seven days or you experience fevers or chills, consult your preferred health practitioner
Back to Health Articles Collection